Thursday 3 April 2014

Unintentional Re-Design!

This is what happens when you're not paying attention.  I found a nice motif on Jennifer Williams' Website and decided to tat it last night.  I have made some of Jennifer's designs before.  She has some lovely ones, including the gorgeous beaded fan I made a while ago.

Anyway,  I was watching TV and got started… then once I'd done the first repeat I thought I was fine and didn't need to look at the pattern again.  I soon realised I'd gone wrong but decided to complete the motif anyway rather than start again.  This is the result.


It was quite a tight fit to get all the little rings in but I managed to make it lay flat for a scan.  I particularly like the centre with the overlapping rings.  This morning, I decided to re-tat it, as per the pattern!

This is what it should have looked like!


Quite different, isn't it?


I actually like the look of both versions.  But the proper, green version, does behave better as there's not so much tension between all the elements.  


Best wishes,
Frivole

18 comments:

  1. Wow that is a good mistake! lays flat and looks great. It's funny how it gives it a totally different look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice way to put it, and I totally agree with you..

      Delete
  2. Both are pretty, it's difficult to say which I like better. The round one looks like the start of a doily. Now you just have to keep going with your redesign to make it bigger :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like yours better. (Waiting anxiously for my purple shuttle, hoping you get to ship before your trip. GLEE)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rather like the first one. The second is very nice, but the first is good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I hadn't seen the your 'mistake' first I would have liked the original, but I like your version better. Even if it's harder to make it lay flat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yours looks more complete - the original looks as though it should have another round joined to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both look lovely even your mistake has still made a nice motif.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes mistakes can be a blessing in disguise. I think both your motifs look great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yours is lovelier than the original!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love unintentional designs. They're the surprises my fingers make for me when my brain isn't looking.

    Yours has invited herself and has announced her own name - Serendipity! I'm sure with a little tweaking in the design you can domesticate her without crushing her spirit or personality. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both doilies are very elegant. I like yours a lot, nice color as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. fantastic mistake - like both versions :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I call it a " happy mistake". Your motif turned out so pretty! Is that DMC Babylo Pale Blue?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Laura, I do use Babylo but those two motifs are made with Lizbeth.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like them both also.
    When I want to watch something on the TV, I first have to get it started just so I know what I'm doing. Mistakes are still sometimes made..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!