Friday 6 June 2014

Blanket & Washing Tatting

I was waiting for more cream thread to arrive in the post so the tatting was on a temporary halt.  My hands cannot be idle (not that there isn't also another 1000 things that need doing that are not craft related!!) so I thought I'd make a bit more progress on my blanket.  This is a great project because it's usable as you are working on it.  The blanket lives on our sofa and is used regularly even though it is not finished.

I was starting to run out, again, of some of the colours and debating how to proceed.  My original intention was to go for 11 x 13 squares (I'm an odd number person!), that's 143 squares.  My youngest son kept telling me it was still too small even when I got to that number last night.  But my enthusiasm was starting to wane slightly for making all the squares and how difficult still it was to choose each colour combination for each square as I proceeded.  So I decided to start making a border for the blanket.  I didn't want to waste any little bit of wool so I am just using up every part ball I have left and going around the edge.





On a different subject, I just got one of my little hankies out of the washing mashing and hung it on the washing line.  When dry, it's just a crumpled mess.



The tatted motifs are all bunched up and looking pretty messy!


Some people would recommend pinning every picot and steaming or pressing lightly.  That would take aaaaaages!  If I was giving this as a gift, no doubt I would invest the time required to pin every picot but just for me?  Certainly not.

Five minutes later, here is what my hanky looks like.  Restored to its original loveliness.  Ok, maybe 6 minutes.  Working on the reverse side (as the tatting was curling back that way), I use the tip of the iron to gently push each motif flat and pressed lightly.  If you looked carefully you will see that using this method results in a few picots facing the wrong way here and there but overall, it's looking pretty good for minimum effort.




I like hankies and I use them all the time.  I nearly always have one in my handbag or pocket.  If it took an eternity to iron them every time I washed them (and I wash in the washing machine too), I wouldn't use them so much.  This method works well for me and doesn't take long.

Now, I have to say that I have yet to wash one of my bigger pieces so I don't know what that would look like coming out of the washing machine!

How about you?  What's your preferred method for washing tatting and getting it looking as good as new again afterwards? 

Best wishes,
Frivole

19 comments:

  1. Preciosa manta y precioso pañuelo.Yo todo el frivolite lo he lavado a mano no he usado la lavadora y lo he planchado suave con chorro de vapor.Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put my larger pieces in a lingerie bag and wash them in the washer. Then I take the damp piece and re-block the whole thing. Fortunately, they don't need to be washed all that often. I hand-wash smaller things in the sink -- unless they're white, then I boil them on the stove -- and re-block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blanket is fabulous! Really pretty. I like the idea of edging it in whatever colour...

    Love this hankie. And I do exactly what you do - no patience to do otherwise.

    Marty is a far, far more patient person than I as I would never take the time to boil a hankie on the stove!
    Fox : ))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the blanket!! :) And the hanky edging is so beautiful!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pieces Frivole, as always! Well, I do not have the experience of washing my tatting things because I do little pieces for gift to my parents and I don't ask them about...in fact this is a good tip for begginers like me. Thank you and the others ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have taken the wet hanky out of the washer and "ironed" it with my fingers. I let it lay on the top of the washer or the counter until dry. Karen in OR

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tatting is a strong lace. It withstands the wash. Hence it was used on underwear, hankies and other linnen that has to be washed frequently. Underwear with laced appears frivolous. Hence it was called Frivolité.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good point about washing. Many years ago I saw a tatted doily I'd given my aunt crumpled at the bottom of a cupboard. It could easily have been straightened out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tatting sewn to clothing I toss in the washer and dryer. I also machine wash (and dry) hankies, but I have gotten very, very choosy about the edgings I put on hankies over the years. I look for things that will (most likely) be easy to straighten and/or iron after being crumpled in the washer and dryer. I *now* sew towel edgings and pillowcase edgings completely to the towel/pillowcase - no tatting hanging 'loose' on the edge, as in a hanky - that way I don't have to concern myself with pressing or straightening the edges, just toss them in the machines, wash, dry, and use them again. Small items I often hand wash - depends on what it is. We have several coasters (glass mats?) made from very thick thread (size 3, size 5, size 10). We machine wash them, then I sort of 'pull' them into shape and let they dry on a flat surface (sometimes I dry them on TOP of the dryer while the rest of the laundry is IN the dryer - dries them a bit faster sitting on top of the warm dryer. ;-)

    Your tatting AND the blanket are both lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thank you for your comment. You are right about taking the time to sew down picots. I have done that on my coat (well most of it and now find I left a small piece unattached and it's flopping about so I will go back and sew that down as well).

      Delete
  10. Love the blanket! I wash my pieces as you do. Steam irons are a wonderful invention!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love hankies too - poking out of pockets and tucked into wrists and fluttering from fingertips as you wave hello and goodbye. How romantic is that?! But if I actually got anything yucky on one like yours I'd feel like I'd smeared mud on a piece of art. For the yucky stuff pocket packs of tissues or a good, serviceable, large man's hanky will do just fine. As will the paper serviettes at the cafe... :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are right Megan… but a lovely soft cotton hanky is so sweet to your nose or eyes.

      Delete
    2. … and you don't actually wipe anything on the lace itself! Just on the cotton of the hanky!

      Delete
  12. What a pretty handkerchief & edging !!!
    I always put such articles in a laundry bag & then machine wash on delicate. For ironing, I use the same simple ironing (on low to medium) method.
    Sometimes, I use the steam iron as a normal iron, and instead, place a square of damp muslin fabric over the tatting/lace & iron over it. This way I can use the iron on a higher setting, yet not fret about marring the lace/threads in any way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tips on how to wash and iron the handkerchief. It's nice to see the 'before' and 'after'! Looks like new! I now feel more confident about 'refreshing' my doll made from two handkerchiefs. After 20 years she needs sprucing up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a beginner tatter, but my late mother used to tat and make bobbin lace. She always contended that either lace was very strong, and would put them in the washing machine (hankies in a small bag, as other commenters have suggested) and then steam them when ironing. They always looked great. I am inspired by your tatting and creativity and really enjoy reading the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ceridwen, thank you for visiting and for your comment. I hope you will continue to enjoy tatting!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!