Wednesday 18 June 2014

Tatting Progress and Crochet Cardigan

Here’s where I’m at with the Jan Stawasz piece.  I have a couple of ends to sew in because I still forget to put a magic loop at the beginning of each motif!  I’ll get into the habit soon.



I’m enjoying it because there’s variety; you make some of the larger motifs then complete with the small diamonds/squares.  I’m thinking at the moment that I won’t be making it in the shape that Jan has in the book but I’m not completely decided yet.  I think I’ll keep growing this for a while longer.


*  *  *  *  *

For some time now, I’ve been thinking that I’d like to make a crochet garment.  My favourites are cardigans because I like that you can wear them buttoned up or open for different looks and warmth desired.  I’ve been looking at loads of patterns on internet trying to find one that appealed to me.  My other problem is that I’ve been finding crochet patterns (for garments) really hard to read!  I don’t know why but the instructions always seem very complicated to me.  I felt I needed to have a go and conquer this!

I found a pattern I really liked the shape of called Chloe Cardigan designed by Doris Chan for Interweave Crochet.

In our loft, I found some yarn I must have bought more than 25 years ago!  It’s a silk mix and I thought it might suit this project.  I had 7 balls.  Would that be enough?  




As you can see, it's not a smooth yarn but more "textured".  I decided to get started and see how far I’d get with one ball.  Now I think I might just make it to the end!  I bought one ball of a cotton bamboo yarn which was a very good colour match and made the band at the waist with it to save a bit of the silk.  I will finish the bottom of the cardigan with the silk (a few more rows to go) and see what I have left for the sleeves (one of them is 3/4 done already).  If I have to, I can complete the sleeve band and ruffle with the cotton bamboo.




Anyway, I’m enjoying this project very much.  The silk, though a bit fluffy in places is very soft and has a nice drape.  Reading the pattern required attention but wasn’t impossible.  Crochet does grow quickly.  I started this on Sunday and I think I’ll complete it in another day or two.


Best wishes,
Frivole

12 comments:

  1. Yes, crochet is a faster payoff than knitting or tatting, that's for sure!

    Looks like you are doing wonderfully, and you should have plenty of yarn to complete. Nice when you get to shop in your stash! (Also nice when you get to add to it, haha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just goes to show, doesn't it, that you should never throw out stash - you never know when you're going to need it! Both your projects are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Maureen! Many times I thought how ridiculous it was that I'd kept that yarn for so long, cluttering the loft, but now it's turning into a nice cardigan which I will enjoy wearing.

      Delete
  3. Lovely cardigan, it's amazing what we find it proves never throw anything away it might come in useful years later. Lovely pattern.
    It's a great pattern from Jan I look forward to seeing how or what you do with it,
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make me want to crochet a cardigan! The tatting is really beautiful, I look forward to seeing how you combine the different motifs for your final shape.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cardigan is beautiful. The Jan Stawasz pattern is looking lovely, also. Every time you add another motif, it looks a bit different. Seeing your tatting makes me want to get my book out and tat the same pattern. Yours looks so nice! The way I remember to put in the magic loop at the beginning: I use a small 'sticky note' and write "put in magic loop" on it. Then I stick the little note right at the beginning of the pattern so I have to MOVE it to see how to start the first ring. ;-) Sometimes I still forget, but it *does* help remind me much of the time. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both projects look wonderful!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Jan Stawasz piece is shaping up beautifully. It looks like a lot of fun.
    Lovely cardigan! The thread choice is perfect. So fortunate you had it in your stash.
    Had the pleasure of meeting Doris Chan at the 2013 Knit & Crochet Show in October 2013 at Concord, NC (near Charlotte, NC). What a vibrant, interesting woman! So much fun to chat with her. It would certainly please her to know you are making her design.
    http://dorischancrochet.com/
    Check out her posts at end-of-September/beginning-of-October 2013.
    Susan Lowman was also there. Look at what she is wearing in her photo here: http://thecrochetarchitect.com/about-me/.
    .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Precioso el suéter y muy lindo tu trabajo de frivolité.Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a beautiful pattern! Crochet works up so quickly, and I find that it's a great way to go through my yarn stash quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That JS is gorgeous! I never thought a vest could look so lovely but of course you found one and it looks wonderful?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!